Wednesday, August 24, 2005

LICHTENSTEIN'S MAGIC HOUSE. I'm ecstatic! Last weekend, I fulfilled a long-held desire: visiting the wonderful LongHouse Reserve in East Hampton, Long Island. Rambling through the sculpture gardens, I enjoyed dozens of earthly and unearthly delights, including a lotus-filled pond, a large sculpted chessboard created by Yoko Ono, and a glowing facade of a Roy Lichtenstein house (below).



















I was also impressed by a Buckminster Fuller Fly's Eye Dome (viewed below through Takashi Soga's The Sea of the Ear- Ring).


I would go into much more detail, but I don't want to ruin the pleasure of discovering LongHouse yourself. So visit as soon as you can!

Located at the 16-acre home of textile designer Jack Lenor Larsen (who created this beauty), LongHouse isn't open often. This year, its Open Hours are 2-5 pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays, April 30 through September 25. Kids under 12 get in free; adults pay $10 ($8 seniors). There is also one remaining twilight tour on Monday, August 29; admission to that costs considerably more: $30/person or $55/couple. Call LongHouse at 631.329.3568 for more information.

Photos: David Marc Fischer

1 comment:

David said...

This sounds great. I will definitely add it to my list!