Monday, October 10, 2005

CARTOON CAPTION CONTEST CONTINUES! Admirers of the talented Robert Leighton will be pleased to see that one of his cartoons is the latest objet d'art featured in the New Yorker's cavalcade of caption-deprived cartoons. In addition to drawing New Yorker cartoons, Leighton has made a name for himself as a guest on To Tell the Truth, creator of Northwestern University's legendary Banderooge comic strip, founder of Puzzability, and illustrator of the saucy children's book Que Pasa por alla Abajo? as well as editor-in-chief of the Plainview Kennedy Class of 1978 yearbook Voyager and its parody — Voyeur? The last time I checked, his murals still graced the high school walls.

As for the results of Contest #19 (man and woman and talking dog reading in a sitting room), the winner turns out to be BAT's pick: "'See Spot run.' 'See Spot run'? Who wrote this crap?" Congrats, Larry Martell of Albuquerque, New Mexico, who was spot-on with that one.

Regarding the crap shoot that is Contest #21 (woman commenting on hunter who is taking aim at deer on television screen), I'd submitted, "This makes me miss Grand Theft Auto." Among the submissions that were actually selected, BAT grudgingly gives the edge to Philadelphia's Simon Fraser, author of “This is why I always dress in bright colors.”

In other contest news, the next Nobel Prizewinner for Literature is expected to be announced this week, after a mysterious delay.

3 comments:

David said...

For contest #23, how about:

"You think this is something, you should have seen me in my pupa phase."

or

"The critics didn't understand my pupa phase either."

Which should I enter?

David Marc Fischer said...

I'm not sure, but I like them...with edits. How about "You should have seen me in my pupa phase." or "The critics didn't understand my pupa phase."?

David said...

Thanks.

How's this one:

The critics thought my pupa phase was too minimalistic.