Monday, March 27, 2006

CARTOON CAPTION/ANTI-CAPTION CONTESTS CONTINUE! New York, New York, New York! All three nominees in Caption Contest #42 (man at desk, seated in electric chair) are from New York State, with one from New York City! But none of them are mine!! What a snub!!!

Richard Nathanson of New York City wrote
"Cancel my twelve-oh-one."
Andrew Blanda of Rochester wrote
"I can't talk, I'm expecting a call from the governor . . . wait, I could save how much?"
Paul Boyer of Schenectady wrote
"Yes, Mother, I know I should have started my appeal earlier."
And mine was
"I can't talk right now. I'm on deadline."
Is it right that mine didn't make the cut? I'm asking you. Yeah, you!

In Caption Contest #40 (woman in bed smoking next to giant snow globe inhabited by snowman), the winner is Carl Gable of Norcross, Georgia with
"Well, that was abominable."
That's a first win for the Peach State! [UPDATE: I just noticed that emdashes links to an article about Mr. Gable, who is a Carl Gable III.]

In Anti-Caption Contest #43 (judge amused by smiling lawyer with capering dog and clown) there appears to be a three-way tie for top honors. [UPDATE: As Dan Radosh diligently clarifies in the comments section, Francis is the sole winner, with the others being finalists.]Francis wrote
"That's really quite adorable, but please tell Mr. Gacy that dogs are not allowed in the courtroom."
j-ha wrote
"Is that clown suit made out of dog noses?"
And RichM wrote
"The Prophet (peace be upon him) dressed up in a clown suit and accompanied by a filthy dog being put on trial - what a delightfully innocuous thing one might see depicted in print and furthermore unlikely to upset anyone!"
This week I made eight submissions. That's one less than last week, so I suppose I didn't lose quite as badly.
"Who let the dog out?"

"This is the bestest birthday ever!"

"Replacing the pony with a clown? Genius!"

"This is why I like you more than Bruce Cutler."

"Hah! This is what I call law and disorder!! Ha ha!"

"Charming. I'll keep the jury out for another thirty minutes."

"Jiminy cricket! This is even more amusing than Anna Nicole Smith!!"

"Ha! You know, those conical hats provide me with a perfect fashion related constitutional law wiretapping analogy!!"
Speaking of which, winners have been announced in Emily Richards's "fashion-related" caption contest. To my utter delight and astonishment, my entry has emerged as a co-winner! I think this warrants a separate post, so stay tuned.

Here are Caption Contest #44 and Anti-Caption Contest #44.

Image by David Marc Fischer using Samsung cameraphone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oops. That's not a three-way tie, it's rushed blogging. Francis won, the others are finalists. And your last-minute contribution, referencing Emily's contest, was definitely in contention. You're getting closer!