Friday, December 07, 2007

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Has there ever been a co-directing team more accomplished than Joel and Ethan Coen? I mean, sure, there aren't that many co-directing teams out there, but....

There I was, expecting a pun-filled sex farce about horny guys in a senior citizen home. Instead, I saw an expertly crafted and meaningful suspense film that seemed to fuse the morbid fatalism of Ingmar Bergman with the artful brutalism of Sergio Leone. A kind of anti-Western, it also features one of the saddest barely-shown film stories I can think of at the moment. (Any idea which one it is?)

So yeah, I'm impressed. Right up there with Blood Simple, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, and O Brother, Where Art Thou.

And it just won honors from the National Board of Review for Best Picture, Best Ensemble Cast, and Best Adapted Screenplay.



Source (2:29)

No comments: