Tuesday, December 18, 2007

THE OCTOBER 1970 PROJECT

This weekend Gothamist drew my attention to this October 1970 photo at the website of Richard Friedman. There was a notion that the shot was taken on 8th Avenue at 55th Street, but Myra has since established that it was taken about 10 blocks south of that.















Here's my first attempt to take a modern-day version of the photo. I took the shots this afternoon. It's challenging to take the picture with green lights and traffic on the street (maybe the original was taken from a car or bike)...and I've got problems with preserving the clarity of the original and getting deep focus in my shots...but at least this is a start!














































































































Top Photo: Richard Friedman
Other Photos: David Marc Fischer

2 comments:

David said...

To get it right, you need to boldly stand in moving traffic. You need a comrade to stand behind you and wave away the cars.

rchrd said...

Aha! You're right. I can see the building on the left foreground is the same. So is that 45th street?

The original was taken with a telephoto (probably 150mm) so everything is a bit compressed.
And, it was taken from a moving car. (So some of the shmutz and patina is due to the windshield)

Actually, all my NYC pictures, some of which go back earlier than 1970, can be found here and here.

These images have generated a lot of interest. Nostalgia is a strong sentiment, I guess.

Thanks.

(Richard Friedman, Oakland CA)