Wednesday, September 06, 2006

CHIHULY IN THE BRONX. As mentioned previously, I recently had the pleasure of visiting The New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx and taking in the Chihuly glassworks sprinkled around the park. I strongly recommend going there before it closes on October 29, 2006. The ideal strategy might be to visit in the late afternoon, taking a break, and returning in the evening to see the works illuminated. You can do this from 4-9 pm on Chihuly Nights, which are on Thursdays as well as Saturday, October 28.

Here's the elaborate Chihuly that greeted me near the main entrance.

























One of its strong points of this work is the movement of its reflection in the water. I couldn't catch the movement here, so shake your monitor to approximate the ripple effect.

























Most of the works are at the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory.







































































































































These weren't glass--they're gold!
























One of my merry band called this a "cowfish."
























Hey--what if these little red thingies were made of glass, too?














































Photos: David Marc Fischer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sort of on the fence about going to this but now you've pushed me over. The cool factor might outweigh the cheese. Thanks.

David Marc Fischer said...

I was concerned about the cheese factor...but it turned out to be negligible. These are great garden complements, very artfully done. I don't yet know what the Nights are like, though.