Friday, May 11, 2007

STAIRWAY TO PARADISE. As I watched Stairway to Paradise--the Encores! revue of numbers and routines curated from decades of Follies, Scandals, Blackbirds, Gaieties, and other variety shows that were Broadway staples during the first half of the past century--I felt that it was getting better and better. And that feeling continued after the show, when I finally got around to looking at the program--the third and last for Encores! this season--and learned more about the selections and the talent behind them.

I was already familiar with a number of the show's highlights. My favorites tended to fall into two categories: the ones featuring cleverly crafted lyrics and the ones with the transcendently haunting melodies. In the former category I put Irving Berlin's Oh! How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning by Irving Berlin and Manhattan by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart. In the latter category goes Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye by Cole Porter as well as Dancing in the Dark by Howard Dietz and Arthur Schwartz, who come out as the songwriting stars of the show, represented in five selections that also include the witty and wonderfully melodic Triplets and Rhode Island is Famous for You.

As I mentioned, my appreciation of the production grew once I scrutinized the program and noticed other names represented in the show: P.G. Wodehouse and Walter and Jean Kerr as well as Eubie Blake, Victor Herbert, Jerome Kern, Jule Styne, and Betty Comden and Adolph Green. The material isn't going to please all of the people all of the time, but it does give one a feel for the history of an entertainment form that today survives mainly in durable song standards and numbers in movie musicals such as The Band Wagon.

The performances and miking were uneven last night (at least in the nosebleed seats, where I sat), but the production was still strong enough to make this the strongest Encores! season so far. Kristin Chenoweth stood out as the show's star, showing off her versatility in different styles of singing as well as comedic acting. Capathia Jenkins was also a vocal standout, with dance highlights coming from tapper Kendrick Jones as well as ballroom team Holly Cruikshank and Barrett Martin.

So now it's once again time to wonder what Encores! will revive next. I'm still curious about the old Mel Brooks-Charles Strouse-Lee Adams musical All American and desperately waiting for High Spirits.

Here's an Erin McKeown cover of Rhode Island is Famous for You.



Source (2:49)

2 comments:

Luke N. Atmaguchi said...

Did I ever tell you I saw Chenoweth pretty much steal "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" as Sally in a pre-Broadway workout in Chicago? I was mainly there to check out B.D. Wong as Linus.

David Marc Fischer said...

I don't think you did, Ben. I wish I'd seen that production. Lots of talent.

And by the way: I know you're dying to know which Grindhouse "feature" I prefer, but I actually have trouble picking a favorite. The first one is a better straight-ahead action movie; the second one is more "meta"--itself offering two contrasting movies in one package--and something that's kept me thinking about it for weeks...in a way that I have not done with the zombie flick.

So do I have to choose?