Monday, November 26, 2007

CARTOON CAPTION/ANTI-CAPTION CONTESTS CONTINUE!

Today New York City is Tudor City, because oft-nominated Lynn Tudor of New York City has finally become a winner in the Caption Contest! Her submission in Caption Contest 120 (Tom Cheney's Mr. Potato Head in bar):
"If I start to drink too much, just pull off my lips."
This victory brings New York to within one point of front-runner California. Exciting!


Lynn Tudor does not have a caption among the nominees in Caption Contest 122 (P.C. Vey's judge doing dishes):
"Yeah, well, it got me through college and law school, and it'll get me through here, too."
William Manning (Wichita, KS)

"If the jury needs another day, they're using paper plates tomorrow."
Emily Anhalt (Guilford, CT)

"I wish they'd let us wear short-sleeved robes."
Dean Kahn (Bellingham, WA)
I don't think I have my loser verbatim at the moment, but I believe it went something like this:
"That's the last time the jury gets its lunch from Masa."

It was "The jury ordered lunch from Masa."
Please compare with Emily Anhalt's submission.


In Anti-Caption Contest 123 (Leo Cullum's bull by smashed window with red curtain), the winner is
"Remember how you said Frank Miller and Gary Larson would never collaborate?"
A Silly Mus Musculus
My loser:
"If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: We'll leave the house and go back to the barn as soon as Farmer Jones and his family return from their trip, and no one will be the wiser...though of course there will now be questions about the window that you shattered in your typical, bull-headed way.

"Oh dear. Now that I think about it, I suppose it's curtains for us!"

Caption Contest 124 is here. Anti-Caption Contest 124 is here.


And the results of the Thanksgiving caption/anti-caption contests can be found here and here.


THE STANDINGS

Here is the current New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest breakdown by state. You can find it all mapped out here.
20 California

19 New York (17 from the Big Apple)

10 New Jersey

6 Massachusetts
6 Pennsylvania

5 Virginia (two from Richmond)

4 Connecticut (two from New Haven, two not)
4 Illinois (three from Chicago, one from Lake Bluff)
4 Maryland (none named Mary)

3 Georgia (includes two-time winner Carl Gables)
3 Minnesota (Minneapolis 2, St. Paul 1)
3 North Carolina
3 Ohio
3 Texas

2 District of Columbia
2 Mississippi
2 Missouri
2 New Hampshire
2 Oregon (both named Eric, both from Portland)
2 Rhode Island
2 Utah
2 Vermont

1 Alabama
1 Alaska
1 Arizona
1 Florida
1 Iowa
1 Kentucky
1 Michigan
1 Nevada
1 New Mexico
1 Oklahoma
1 Washington
Map Introduction

Thanks to Andriy Bidochko for Map Builder. MyMaps at MapBuilder.net

Image by David Marc Fischer using Samsung cameraphone

No comments: