Friday, May 23, 2008

WHERE WAS I? BATLIBS SPECIAL EDITION! Anyone can play, but this time there's a twist: You've got to fill in the blank with the correct guess. It probably won't be easy, but I hope it'll be fun. Just leave your guesses (and questions) in the comments using a distinct moniker so we can tell you apart from the other players. Enjoy!

A BIG DAY IN THE BIG APPLE
My ol' college pal Buddy was recently in town. We managed to keep ourselves entertained by doing some "cultural activities." Many of them involved the very trendy practice of looking for fusilli and rotini shapes in modern art. Only now do I realize that I had confused fusilli with...fusilli lunghi?

Anyway, one morning I stopped by a copy shop before meeting up with Buddy. That's where I spotted _________________________—not a super-celebrity by any measure, but still fun to recognize.


SECOND CHALLENGE ADDED MAY 26

That evening, Buddy and I went to see the play Betrayed, which I recommend. This fact-based Culture Project production portrays what happens to some Iraqis who go to work for the American foreign service after the invasion. In a way, it can be viewed as a companion to the documentary No End in Sight. I've seen a bunch of movies about the Iraqi situation, but I think this was the first play I've seen on the subject; it's interesting to see the characters realized "live" instead of projected on a screen.

Before the play began, Buddy and I recognized the celebrity _________________________ , who sat several rows in front of us.


THIRD CHALLENGE ADDED MAY 31

Those two spottings were interesting (to me, at least), but that same day I had yet another encounter—and it really blew my mind!

This time, Buddy and I were standing in line at MOMA, waiting to see one of the works in the Olafur Eliasson show. Not having anything better to do, I was talking to Buddy about wanting to (finally) see guitar legend Les Paul on a Monday night. That's when the guy behind us piped in.

"I can't believe you're talking about Les Paul," says he. "I just saw him the other night!"

"What a coincidence!" says I. "How'd you like him?"

"Oh, he was just great," says he.

"What made you decide to go?" asks I.

"Oh, my relative received an award at the White House recently, and Les Paul was there. Nice guy," says he. "So I thought we'd go and see him."

"Who's your relative?" asks I.

"Oh, _________________________ ," says he.

"_________________________?" asks I.

"Yes, _________________________ ," says he.

"You know, my buddy Buddy and I just saw him yesterday," says I. "We were at the Grey Art Gallery, where we saw a portrait of him. What a coincidence!"

So now I ask you: Who is Relative X?

NOTE The dialogue is paraphrased.

79 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness, this could be anybody. Male or female?
Matt Lauer?

Deborah said...

Reality show contestant?

David Marc Fischer said...

Male. Neither Matt Lauer nor a reality show contestant. If I had to pick, I'd say closer to Matt Lauer than to a reality show contestant....

Anonymous said...

Michael Richards?

David Marc Fischer said...

Sorry, Gary. It might be smart to pursue other channels of investigation.

David said...

Was it Wallace Shawn? And didn't he play the Cribbler on Batman? And was that fusilli under all that brie and figs?

David Marc Fischer said...

Sorry, Dave, it wasn't Wally Shawn. And those were elbows under the brie and the figs. Elbows.

Anonymous said...

Is this person known for their acting?
Gary Sinise?

David Marc Fischer said...

Not Gary Sinise, and not known for that type of acting. However, Myra, I believe you've using the proper channel of investigation.

Anonymous said...

48 hours "investigative" sort of acting like Harold Dow?

David Marc Fischer said...

You've got the right channel, Gary, though I don't think I'd recognize Harold Dow if I saw him.

Deborah said...

Is the person a daytime television celebrity?

David Marc Fischer said...

Quite the opposite. Except for the television part.

Anonymous said...

DMF, I wouldn't know Harold Dow either, and I'm not sure I've every even seen 48 hrs. Let me try another program, how 'bout Andy Rooney. Was it him?

David Marc Fischer said...

Sorry Gary. Rooney's too famous, for one thing.

Anonymous said...

Anderson Cooper? hot1

David Marc Fischer said...

Wrong channel, Myra! Also too famous, etc.

Deborah said...

Sitcom actor?

David Marc Fischer said...

Not a sitcom actor, Deborah, but I think you're getting warmer.

Anonymous said...

David Krumholtz?

David Marc Fischer said...

Still the right channel, Gary. But that's not the man.

Anonymous said...

Let me try another approach. Is the person over 50 y/o?

David Marc Fischer said...

I think he is over 50, Gary!

Anonymous said...

He is probably too famous, but I'll guess William Petersen.

David Marc Fischer said...

Not William Petersen, Gary...and don't make too much of the "investigation" angle.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've been trying to link helical shapes of pasta and investigation so I came up with DNA and CSI. Let's try again. Late night TV with Craig Ferguson? He's not over 50, but I'd be impressed if anyone could recognize him!

David Marc Fischer said...

Not Craig Ferguson, Gary, but you're getting warmer!

Anonymous said...

Paul Shaffer?

David Marc Fischer said...

You're getting even warmer, Gary!

Anonymous said...

Is this person on a regularly scheduled program currently?

Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess Alan Kalter, the announcer for the Letterman show. It clearly can't be Letterman because he is too famous, but perhaps you recognized Alan not by sight but by voice. I'm pulling at straws (and hair) with this one.

David Marc Fischer said...

You're hot, Gary! I saw Letterman announcer Alan Kalter at the copy shop.

And now, to continue...

Anonymous said...

Is this celebrity best known for their stage work?

Anonymous said...

sorry, that was me in the last question.

David Marc Fischer said...

It's okay, Gary. Could happen to anyone.

And, um, no, the celebrity is not best known for stage work.

Anonymous said...

Was the celebrity male?

David Marc Fischer said...

Yes, Gary, the celebrity is male.

Anonymous said...

Anderson Cooper also is on 60 Minutes. http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/bios/main500495.shtml

I'm guessing Paul Shaffer.

Anonymous said...

oh.. we are onto the next part already. Is the 2nd celebrity in politics?

Anonymous said...

Julianne Moore? I, too, thought Betrayed was very good.

Anonymous said...

Oops! Didn't see the male question/response. Guess it's not Julianne. How about Tim Robbins?

David Marc Fischer said...

Myra, you're right that A. Cooper is on the 60 Minutes roster. But I think it was still pretty clear from my answers that Celebrity One was affiliated with CBS. What do you think?

As for Celebrity Two, he's not a politician and he's not Tom Robbins.

Debbie, your recommendation was one reason I made it a point to see Betrayed--so thanks!

Anonymous said...

Is he best known for movies?

David Marc Fischer said...

Gary, I think he's probably best known for movies, though one could possibly make a case otherwise.

David Marc Fischer said...

I interrupt this thread to note that Deborah has gotten another anti-caption honorable mention. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Campbell Scott?

Anonymous said...

Is he over 50?

David Marc Fischer said...

Myra, it's not Campbell Scott.

David Marc Fischer said...

Gary, he's not over 50.

Deborah said...

Thanks!

Does this celebrity live in New York?

David Marc Fischer said...

I believe he does, Deborah!

Anonymous said...

Peter Dinklage?

David Marc Fischer said...

Sorry, Debbie--while it is true that Peter Dinklage is under 50, you can count him out, too.

Anonymous said...

Is this celebrity an actor?

David Marc Fischer said...

Yes, Gary, he's an actor!

Anonymous said...

Is the actor in a current TV series?

David Marc Fischer said...

No, Gary, though he recently guested on a TV series.

Anonymous said...

Is he under 40?

David Marc Fischer said...

No, Debbie, he's not under 40.

Luke N. Atmaguchi said...

Steve Buscemi?

[Tangent: Inspired by the recent Beats exhibit at the Ransom Center here in Austin, I rented Shirley Clarke's "The Arrangement." Warren Finnerty's lead performance as "Leach" is uncannily proto-Buscemi.]

David Marc Fischer said...

Ah, good ol' Steve Buscemi. No...but they have at least two movies in common. I haven't seen either one, though.

Anonymous said...

Adam Sandler?

David Marc Fischer said...

Not Sandler, Debbie--and I'm not sure Mr. X and Sandler have any movies in common.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Deeds and Big Daddy to name two. And I thought it was pretty safe to assume that you hadn't seen either. PLUS, apparently Sandler was a guest on "The King of Queens" in 2007, so I must say it was a pretty good guess on my part. But I'm still wrong.

David Marc Fischer said...

Would that be if Mr. X were Steve Buscemi? Anyway, I'm sure it's a very good guess, and I'm sorry it's not the right guess. Please keep on guessing!

Luke N. Atmaguchi said...

Laurence Fishburne?

Luke N. Atmaguchi said...

John Cusack?

Anonymous said...

Was this actor born in the United States?

Anonymous said...

Izzie Izzard?

David Marc Fischer said...

Laurence Fishburne and Mr. X have at least one movie in common, and I believe they will have at least one other movie in common.

And John Cusack and Mr. X (who was born in the USA) have at least one film in common.

David Marc Fischer said...

Mr. X isn't Izzie Izzard and he isn't Eddie Izzard either. And I don't think there's any movie overlap.

Anonymous said...

Matt Dillon?

David Marc Fischer said...

Way to guess, Myra! It's Matt Dillon, who's guest-voiced on The Simpsons and appeared in a bunch of movies though much of his early fame derived from his appearances in teen magazines (if vague memory serves). Before that, I believe he was Marshal in Dodge City, which might not be as far from Baghdad as you might think.

Stay tuned for the third part of this unfolding story--and feel free, Myra, to reveal the secret of your success!

Anonymous said...

IMDB is your friend. Well, it's mine at least.

Anonymous said...

painter George Tooker?

Anonymous said...

Roy R. Neuberger?

David Marc Fischer said...

Sorry, Myra. I didn't get a look at George Tooker.

David Marc Fischer said...

Excellent, Debbie! I had seen this Will Barnet portrait of Roy Neuberger at the Grey Art Gallery's very good New York Cool show, which runs through July 19, 2008.

Out of the three encounters described here, this was my favorite because so many coincidences came into play. And Roy Neuberger's relative was just swell, too.

Luke N. Atmaguchi said...

ohh . . . hhh . . . Carlos Santana?