Monday, June 09, 2008

CARTOON CAPTION/ANTI-CAPTION COVERAGE PAUSES, SORT OF!

The New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest pauses this week, but there's still some news as well as an Anti-Caption Contest result.


The winner of Anti-Caption Contest 149 (Mick Stevens's man with jet pack in doorway of woman in curlers) is
"Good Morning. I have an IM from Kaitlyn: 'IMHO you should wear that cute power-blue top today with your white shirt...I'm hearng that Tyler likes Ashley, but she is so not interested...Didn't Morgan look fat yesterday in that hideous outfit? I'm like: What were you thinking, girl?...Oh, and please get your computer fixed. My mom's starting to bitch that this costs too much. (She's such a Drama Queen)...See ya at school!'"
al in la
My loser:
"I invented the jet-pack and flew over here as soon as I learned you were a cross-dressing exhibitionist, but I'm afraid, sir, that it just wasn't worth the effort."

Otherwise there are at least two caption developments. Recent winner Patrick House of Palo Alto followed his victory ("O.K. I'm at the window. To the right? Your right or my right?") with a Slate article entitled, "How to Win the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest." Online respondents to this article include two-time winner Lawrence Wood of Chicago, who wrote
Patrick House's caption -- "O.K. I'm at the window. To the right? Your right or my right?" -- was good, but I think even he'll admit that it wasn't as good as the one I submitted: "O.K. I'm at the window. My right or your right?" Brevity being the soul of wit, my shorter caption (which was substantively identical to the winning entry) should have been selected over Mr. House's. Why wasn't it? I can't be sure, but since I've already won two caption contests (nos. 92 and 123), I think The New Yorker is reluctant to give me a third victory. Or maybe it's because I'm Jewish. The New Yorker is a notoriously anti-Semitic publication.
So once again I feel obliged to share my own submission:
"Okay, I give up. What has six toes and ten fingers and climbs walls?"
You know, I'm letting go of the notion that my loser submission was notably close to the winner...but still!

Maybe it should've been "Okay, I give up. What climbs walls and has ten fingers but only six toes?"

I guess I just can't let go of this one.


Of course, I'm not the only loser in Blogland. Michael Neal wrote to Slate to draw attention to his How to lose the New Yorker cartoon caption contest posts at SlapClap.


And Dan Radosh is accepting questions for caption contest gatekeeper Farley Katz.


Caption Contest 149 is here, while the Anti-Caption Contest Bonus is here.


THE STANDINGS

Here is the current New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest breakdown by state. You can find it all mapped out here.
27 California

21 New York (18 from the Big Apple)

12 New Jersey

6 Massachusetts
6 Pennsylvania
6 Virginia (three from NOVA, two from Richmond, one from Charlottesville)

5 Connecticut (two from New Haven, three not)
5 Illinois (four from Chicago—two captions by Lawrence Wood, two drawings by Leo Cullum)
5 Texas (three from Houston)

4 Georgia (includes two-time winner Carl Gables)
4 Maryland (none named Mary)
4 North Carolina

3 Minnesota (Minneapolis 2, St. Paul 1)
3 Ohio

2 Alaska
2 Arizona
2 District of Columbia
2 Florida
2 Michigan
2 Mississippi
2 Missouri
2 New Hampshire
2 Oregon (both named Eric, both from Portland)
2 Rhode Island
2 Utah
2 Vermont

1 Alabama
1 Arkansas
1 Delaware
1 Iowa
1 Kentucky
1 Nevada
1 New Mexico
1 Oklahoma
1 Washington
1 Wisconsin
Map Introduction

Thanks to Andriy Bidochko for Map Builder. MyMaps at MapBuilder.net

Image by David Marc Fischer using Samsung cameraphone

4 comments:

David said...

In the recent "your right or my right" monster-on-ledge caption contest, I'm wondering if the original cartoon had the following credit: "Drawing by Harry Bliss, after Jack Kirby", because it does have it now.

David Marc Fischer said...

The credit was only added after a professor pointed out that the cartoon was cribbed from a Jack Kirby comic book cover--and the info spilled into the media.

David said...

Meanwhile comparing the two it appears to be a direct tribute and not plagiarism. The style of the monster is retro and everything about it is identical - except of course the droll new yorker inside the apartment. If I were to guess I'd say that the caption contest interfered w/the proper editing/crediting process. Poor NYer mag.

David Marc Fischer said...

I think the magazine came up with a good solution that acknowledges the source and also clues the reader into part of the joke. Personally, I'd thought there was "something funny" about the drawing but I didn't get it until the attribution issue hit the media. I think there have been similar questions in the past, so perhaps this will set a standard. I'm curious to see if there will be a parody of something really famous, like the Mona Lisa, with a credit like "Drawing by Harry Bliss, after Leonardo da Vinci." Where, if anywhere, would the magazine's style guide draw the proverbial line?