Monday, December 08, 2008


Cartoon Caption/Anti-Caption Contest Coverage Continues

Um. Uh-huh. Clears throat. Thank you. Thank you. This is such a surprise! I'm not sure what to say, but....Takes out pre-written speech. I can't tell you how exciting it is to finally win one of these things after so many years of trying. Pause. I just want to say that this shows that, if you try hard and you don't give up, you can get recognition! And I feel like I'm in such good company in Anti-Caption Contest 172 (Lee Lorenz's happy head amidst Easter Island statues). I mean, over there is
Standup comedian, off-panel: "You see, black people carve statues like this, and white people carve statues like THIS!"
Francis
and over there is
"Kill him."
Deborah
and there was even
Why the long faces?
xjvpastor
and
"This is Obamahead land. No McCain heads allowed."
J.D.
And to think that all of them lost to my anti-caption:
"What the fuck are you smiling about? It's World AIDS Day, asshole!"
David F
And finally, I'd like to thank the one person who inspired me more than anyone else: Larry Kramer. Thanks, Larry. I'l continue to do what I can to get your Lost Horizon on DVD soon!


In Caption Contest 169 (Leo Cullum's bandito businessman), the winner is
"What makes you think I wouldn't be up for sushi?"
Neal Svalstad (El Cajon, CA)
So thanks to the man from El Cajon, California hits 30 and beats New York as well as Illinois.


California and New York face off again (with Michigan) in Caption Contest 171 (Gahan Wilson's butcher with meat shaped like kick line), the nominees are
"I'd suggest you keep them away from the gingerbread men."
Vincent Coca (Staten Island, NY)

"It's not disturbing until someone wants to buy them by the ounce."
Steve Arrowood (Oceanside, CA)

"I did the choreography myself."
Donovan Reeve (Ypsilanti, MI)
My loser:
"I used to sell strip steaks, but they cleaned up their act."
Thoughts?


Caption Contest 173 is here. Anti-Caption Contest 173 is here.


THE STANDINGS

Here is the current New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest breakdown by state. You can find it all mapped out here.
30 California

27 New York (23 from the Big Apple)

13 New Jersey

9 Virginia (four from NOVA, two from Richmond, one from Charlottesville, one from Newport News, one from Roanoke)

8 Illinois (six from Chicago, two captions by Lawrence Wood, two drawings by Leo Cullum)

7 Massachusetts

6 Pennsylvania

5 Connecticut (two from New Haven, three not)
5 Maryland (none named Mary)
5 North Carolina (two from Charlotte)
5 Texas (three from Houston)

4 Arizona (two from Tucson)
4 Georgia (includes two-time winner Carl Gables)
4 Ohio

3 Minnesota (Minneapolis 2, St. Paul 1)

2 Alaska
2 District of Columbia
2 Florida
2 Michigan
2 Mississippi
2 Missouri
2 New Hampshire
2 Oregon (both named Eric, both from Portland)
2 Rhode Island
2 Utah
2 Vermont
2 Washington

1 Alabama
1 Arkansas
1 Delaware
1 Iowa
1 Kentucky
1 Louisiana (New Orleans)
1 Nevada
1 New Mexico
1 Oklahoma
1 Wisconsin
Map Introduction

Thanks to Andriy Bidochko for Map Builder. MyMaps at MapBuilder.net

Satirical "Eustace K. Tilley" illustration realized by Deborah Grumet from concept by David Marc Fischer

3 comments:

Luke N. Atmaguchi said...

Kudos, David. You should be proud!

Deborah said...

Congratulations! It was well deserved.

David Marc Fischer said...

I know, I know!