Monday, May 11, 2009


Cartoon Caption/Anti-Caption Contest Continues!

The winner of Caption Contest 189 (Drew Dernavich's punctured acupuncturist) is
"Gesundheit."
Bob Vogel (Portland, ME)
This first win for Maine keeps New York from taking the first-place position and prevents Simon Fraser from tallying up a second win.


The nominees in Caption Contest 191 (Farley Katz's cat with other critters plunging off cliff) are:
"Just to confirm—I get seventy-two lemmings, right?"
Chris Norborg (Chicago, IL)

"Table for eleven? Right this way."
Simon Narode (Portland, OR)

"I'm just curious—what's your excuse?"
Pinghan Chua (Alexandria, VA)
My loser:
"I don't recommend doing this more than about seven or eight times."

Dan Radosh picked the winner of Anti-Caption Contest 192 (Jack Ziegler's talk show scene) before I made my submission, so of course it was a damn lucky week for all of the contestants. The winner?
"I'm sorry. I ran out of 'funny stories from the set' days ago, and yet, I remain trapped in this talk-show set/dungeon, as you stare at me with that creepy intensity, and I hope you'll understand that I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll ever see my family agai-- oh, we have to go to commercial? No, that's fine. I'll finish the story when we get back."
Tim C.

Caption Contest 193 is here. Anti-Caption Contest 193 is here.


THE STANDINGS

Here is the current New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest breakdown by state. You can find it all (almost) mapped out here.
31 California

31 New York (27 from the Big Apple)

14 New Jersey

11 Virginia (five from NOVA, two from Richmond, one from Charlottesville, one from Newport News, one from Roanoke, one from Stanardsville)

9 Illinois (seven from Chicago, two captions by Lawrence Wood, two drawings by Leo Cullum)
9 Massachusetts

6 Connecticut (two from New Haven, four not)
6 North Carolina (two from Charlotte)
6 Pennsylvania
6 Texas (three from Houston, one from Austin)

5 Maryland (none named Mary)

4 Arizona (two from Tucson)
4 Georgia (includes two-time winner Carl Gables)
4 Ohio
4 Washington

3 Michigan
3 Minnesota (Minneapolis 2, St. Paul 1)
3 Rhode Island

2 Alaska
2 District of Columbia
2 Florida
2 Mississippi
2 Missouri
2 Nevada (Las Vegas 1, Zephyr Cove 1)
2 New Hampshire
2 Oregon (both named Eric, both from Portland)
2 Utah
2 Vermont

1 Alabama
1 Arkansas
1 Delaware
1 Iowa
1 Kentucky
1 Louisiana (New Orleans)
1 Maine
1 New Mexico
1 Oklahoma
1 Wisconsin
Map Introduction

Thanks to Andriy Bidochko for Map Builder. MyMaps at MapBuilder.net

Parodic The Gothamer illustration realized by Deborah Grumet from concept by David Marc Fischer

No comments: