Monday, December 01, 2008


Cartoon Caption/Anti-Caption Contest Coverage Continues

It took a while for Dan Radosh to post the results of Anti-Caption Contest 170 (P.C. Vey's businessman with turkey) but, when he did, Deborah was quick to let me know that I'd garnered an Honorable Mention with
"I'm on my way to get a breast implant. Wish me luck, dawg!"
The winner was
"Yeah, that's the thing with Rate My Professor, you never really know who's trashin' ya. TurkeylovingRacist1956 could be anybody."
David John

I had no such luck in Anti-Caption Contest 171 (Gahan Wilson's butcher selling meat shaped like a kick line), where the winner was
"I don't know, lady. I just fucking work here. Do you want one or not"
JohnnyB
and one of the Honorable Mentions was the great Broadway pun
"So you want one...singular...shank section?"
therblig
and my losers were
"Pleased to meat you!"
and
"If you don't think the world is fucked up, just take a look at the numbers of each of these anti-caption contests.

"This one is 171, the one before it is 247, the one before that is 170, and the one before that is 168!

"It reminds me of when the contest went from 141 to 143 to 143, but it's worse this time around.

"Anyway, what'll it be?"

"It depends. What's today's special?"

"Tenderloins."

"Of course. Then I'll have those."

"I'm sure you already do, my lovely. I'm sure you already do."

"Oh dear!"

In Caption Contest 168 (Tom Cheney's weirdly long arm of waiter), the winner is
"Please try not to stare at his disproportionately short right arm."
Chas Kikel (Cleveland Heights, OH)
Seems like an anti-caption, doesn't it?


In Caption Contest 170 (P.C. Vey's businessman with turkey) the nominees are
"I am useless until I have my morning turkey."
Corey Lowney (Wappingers Falls, NY)

"I was actually hoping for a boy."
Antonia Boyette (Los Angeles, CA)

"I miss the cash bonuses."
Robert Becker (Northford, CT)
Compare that third one with my loser:
"It's part of my severance package."

Caption Contest 172 is here. Anti-Caption Contest 172 is here.


THE STANDINGS

Here is the current New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest breakdown by state. You can find it all mapped out here.
29 California

27 New York (23 from the Big Apple)

13 New Jersey

9 Virginia (four from NOVA, two from Richmond, one from Charlottesville, one from Newport News, one from Roanoke)

8 Illinois (six from Chicago, two captions by Lawrence Wood, two drawings by Leo Cullum)

7 Massachusetts

6 Pennsylvania

5 Connecticut (two from New Haven, three not)
5 Maryland (none named Mary)
5 North Carolina (two from Charlotte)
5 Texas (three from Houston)

4 Arizona (two from Tucson)
4 Georgia (includes two-time winner Carl Gables)
4 Ohio

3 Minnesota (Minneapolis 2, St. Paul 1)

2 Alaska
2 District of Columbia
2 Florida
2 Michigan
2 Mississippi
2 Missouri
2 New Hampshire
2 Oregon (both named Eric, both from Portland)
2 Rhode Island
2 Utah
2 Vermont
2 Washington

1 Alabama
1 Arkansas
1 Delaware
1 Iowa
1 Kentucky
1 Louisiana (New Orleans)
1 Nevada
1 New Mexico
1 Oklahoma
1 Wisconsin
Map Introduction

Thanks to Andriy Bidochko for Map Builder. MyMaps at MapBuilder.net

Satirical "Eustace K. Tilley" illustration realized by Deborah Grumet from concept by David Marc Fischer

No comments: